Sunday, May 29, 2011

My poem

I love Arabic language and Arabic literature. And during Saddam’s time we were going through a very dark era in Iraq’s time. As a linguist my first thought was to voice things. So I wrote this poem ( In Arabic of course this is a translation):
IRAQ…a Big Cemetery. Nothing but a Cemetery.
People pray “ Dear god…where are you”?
Saddam Jailed God. God became genie in a small bottle
People still crying deeply without tears
Saddam said “KEEP QUITE, people you have no choices I am the New Testament, I am the New Quran, I am the legend: obey me. You must!. No choices”
Saddam said: Oh my people, oh my slaves, kiss the ground that I walked on, oh my great people you deserve more death because I decided that, your destiny is to be my slaves. My destiny is to be your blind god to lead you from nowhere to nowhere.
I gave my poem to a friend. Or at least I thought he was. He took my poem and gave it to the secret police and that is when my life was turned upside down. I never thought that writing this poem meant silencing my pen and my brain for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment